considering the title of our blog...I guess I better update our currant situation and what's new in our lives!
Last week Tuesday we FINALLY started down a path that both Shaun and I feel a strong pulling and leading from God! AND WE ARE EXCITED!!!....we started classes for the S.N.A.P. Program through D.A. Blodgett-St. John's adoption agency in Grand Rapids. S.N.A.P. stands for Special Needs Adoption Program that works with children who are within the foster care system and are released for adoption. The 'labeling' placed on children that enter foster care is not always what truly explains the child. You might think that we are going to adopt children with 'special needs' when in fact we will be adopting cognitively normal children who are considered 'special needs' because they have been placed in foster care, or they are part of a sibling group.
SO--we have two months worth of classes that focus on the entire process of adoption and primarily adopting a child/ren that has been in foster care and how to deal with their circumstances.
With this direction that we are going, the agency will refer a placement to us when a child(ren) becomes available for adoption that fits our profile...which gets built during the home assessment AFTER the classes are done. We don't know how long we will be waiting for a referral, only that God will be in control of every decision that is made for our 'children' and us. It's crazy to think what our children might be going through, and I have already been praying about their safety and protection from emotional harm, and that they would know Jesus and HIS unconditional love for them, and that they would be open to our love once we meet them!
My brother and his wife just received their referral for their daughter who is living in Ethiopia, and their experiences will help to prepare us some for the transitions that we too will be going through!
It's definitely an exciting and scary time for us, but someday SOON...we will be some one's "mommy and daddy"!
Keep Praying us Through!....it's the only security we have!!!
3 comments:
HOORAY!!! This makes me SOOOOO HAPPY! I can't wait to hear the news that YOU got a referral! You guys are going to be AMAZING parents, and I'm so excited for you!!!!!!! :)
YAY!! I cannot wait to meet your sweet kid(s)! They are SO LUCKY to have you guys.....just think....God already knows "who" they are, and is preparing all of you for each other. He's in it...it will be....perfect. So proud of you! Love you!
Robin
Adoption is a wonderful option. I am so glad you guys are looking into it and seriously pursuing it. The road may not be easy, but the Lord will guide you each step of the way. I'll be praying too, for His hand to be on your kid(s) even now as they wait for you to find them.
Post a Comment